News & Briefings

Philmont Cancels All Remaining Programs for Summer 2020

Due to State of New Mexico restrictions, program are cancelled. Find details on recommended steps for crews. Click image to read more > > >

BSA’S Commitment to Act Against Racial Injustice

As our country reckons with racial injustice, we all must consider our role and our failures and commit to meaningful action. We must always stand for what is right and take action when the situation demands it. There is no place for racism – not in Scouting and not in our communities. Racism will not be tolerated. Click image to read more > > >

BSA Potential Claimants

As you know, the national organization of the Boy Scouts of America filed for bankruptcy earlier this year to equitably compensate victims of past abuse and ensure that Scouting’s mission continues Click image to read more

COVID-19 & Scouting

In this unprecedented time the Golden Gate Area Council (GGAC) wants each one of you to know that you, your families and your extended network of colleagues and friends are of our utmost concern. Under the order of the Health Officer of Contra Costa County we are asking all units to cease its in-person meetings and activities through May 3, 2020.

The Council Service Center will remain closed to the public through that date as well. The professional staff is still here to serve you and you may contact them through their office lines and they will receive it as their desk phones are all set to forward to their cell phones. The staff will also be available to respond via email to your needs. Please subscribe to our Facebook page and check out our website GGAC for the latest information from your council.

All applications and Eagle paperwork we assume will be approved for an automatic extension from our National Office and will work with them to make it so. If you are able to make a Friends of Scouting donation to keep the essential services of Scouting running. Click here to DONATE  

Further, GGAC will honor requests for refund for Camp Wolfeboro and Day Camp. We also will be postponing the deadline for Camp Wolfeboro Payments until April 30th.

Additionally, Day Camp late fees are waived for those who wish to register for the summer. After this drastic change in our youth’s lives this Spring it is imperative, we do what we can to give them a fun and safe summer. Districts are encouraged to reschedule their activities currently scheduled through the end of May to later this summer or this fall. Camp Herms will also have its drive-in gate closed at least through the end of May.

As Scouts we are expected to be leaders in our community, we need to obey the laws and regulations that have been put in place to protect our community. Utilize virtual methods to conduct your business – Facebook Live can be used through unit and District web pages to communicate. You are also able to correspond with Merit Badge Counselors or your Den Leaders to earn achievements. While the current situation represents a change from or normal operations standard it presents an opportunity for us to break out of our comfort zone and embrace new ways of delivering the promise of  Scouting to one another.

Thank you all for what you do to support our community through Scouting. We all benefit from your involvement.

April 27, 2020
Joint Statement of the Seven Bay Area Health Officers on Upcoming Extension and evisions to the Current Shelter-in-Place Orders

[Martinez, CA] – Later this week, the Public Health Officers of the Counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara as well as the City of Berkeley will issue revised shelter-in-place orders that largely keep the current restrictions in place and extend them through May. The new order will include limited easing of specific restrictions for a small number of lower-risk activities.

The shelter-in-place orders in effect across the seven jurisdictions are set to expire on May 3, 2020. Thanks to the collective effort and sacrifice of the 7 million residents across our jurisdictions, we have made substantial progress in slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus, ensuring our local hospitals are not  overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases, and saving lives. At this stage of the pandemic, however, it is critical that our collective efforts continue so that we do not lose the progress we have achieved together. Hospitalizations have leveled, but more work is needed to safely re-open our communities.  Prematurely lifting restrictions could easily lead to a large surge in cases.

The Health Officers will also release a set of broad indicators that will be used to track progress in preparedness and response to COVID-19, in alignment with the framework being used by the State of California. Future
easing of restrictions requires that each jurisdiction and various sectors continue to rapidly build critical infrastructure and systems to respond to and control the spread of corona virus infections and to ensure the health care
system’s ability to meet demand.

This global pandemic of COVID-19 is still in its early stages. The virus spreads easily, testing capacity is limited and expanding slowly, and vaccine development is just beginning. We expect to be responding to COVID-19 in our communities for a long time. As effective as our efforts have been, if we move too fast to ease restrictions, the potential of exponential spread could have grave impacts to health and wellness of our residents as well as the economy.

The Health Officers of these seven jurisdictions have been working closely together in leading a unified, regional approach, to protect the health and safety of our residents. Details regarding this next phase will be shared later in the week, along with the updated order.
                                        # # #


Sea Scouts




Shooting Sport


Scouting for Food

Order of the Arrow